Monday, May 11, 2015

May 11, 2015 - Happy Mother's Day

(We just got to talk to John on Sunday for Mother’s Day. Even all four grandparents were here. It was great to hear his voice and to think he’ll be home in just over 3 months. He’s working really hard until the end!)

Thank you guys. You are all so awesome. I really feel blessed to have such an amazing family. And thank you Mom and Dad for the advice. Not just about the suits. You guys are the best.

I don't have much to add, our investigators are doing pretty well. We're really busy so it's hard to meet them sometimes. Mrs. C was at church with her kids and we should meet them again this week, her husband is still in Mainland. We found a potential new family on Tuesday, the Chan family, who seem really cool. We originally had the husband scheduled for Church but he had to cancel, and we haven't gotten him again yet.

This is a copy of part of my weekly report to President Hawks:

"We had an amazing experience on Saturday evening. We had more finding that day and some lessons scheduled and we set some very high goals, but all our lessons fell through and by the evening we had about 1 hour of finding left and only one mediocre street lesson. So we decided that if we were going to reach our goal we needed to find a family. We went out and in about 15 minutes met a couple from Ukraine and Israel, brought them to the chapel and toured them around. It seemed perfect but they were too rushed to teach at that moment. I felt really bad because it seemed that we had failed our chance, but then on the way home we found another mom and her son, toured the chapel again, and scheduled them for church the next day. Then, on the way home (still 1 lesson short of our OL goal) we met a guy who turned out to live in our building and taught him in his house. It was amazing, and we felt like we could succeed and miracles would happen in a way that I've never felt before.

It was awesome. There was a certain feeling there that we could do things that we'd never done before. The last guy we taught was an older man, the type I'd usually try a bit and maybe pass over for time's sake. Elder Busby actually told him that we were rushed and asked if we could walk and teach at the same time. And he said yes. And Chinese people never let you into their homes; it's just not the culture. So the fact that we got that to happen was just amazing. There have been a few times like that this week where I just felt like faith was doing the work for us. I set a goal one day to talk to 10 people outside of finding, and I prayed intently that I would do my part talking to everyone if the Lord would help me succeed, and there were times when it seemed like people couldn't not talk to me.

That's what I wish I could have started to learn earlier in my mission, because 1 I know that if I can really do missionary work this way people will get baptized, and 2 it's extremely difficult and we need to prepare ourselves as a companionship to do it. Honestly working with that kind of faith is almost terrifying, because you have to commit yourself to a high goal. You can't set low goals and do it, because it won't exercise your faith, and you have to really care about and commit to the goal, because if you don't you won't exercise faith. But that's terrifying to do, and it forces a lot more introspection than I really want to have. But if I could do it..."

Anyway, that's just what we've been mulling over as a companionship. It's been great being in this trio. I've really enjoyed it. Love you all! Really, I really truly love you all. And Happy Mother's Day, Mom. You don't need to be perfect to be the best mom in the world. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment